A composite filling is a tooth-coloured plastic and glass mixture used to restore decayed or decaying teeth. Composites are also used for cosmetic dentistry improvements of the smile by changing the colour of the teeth or reshaping disfigured teeth.
At Sunrise Village Dental, we do not advocate the use of amalgam fillings. We only use composite fillings, which are a tooth-coloured plastic and glass mixture to restore teeth. Because composite fillings are coloured, this helps our dentist closely match it to the colour of the existing teeth. This is more aesthetically pleasing to use, especially in the front teeth area. Although composite fillings are not permanent and someday may have to be replaced, they are durable and will last for many years.
Advantages of Composite fillings:
- These fillings will be the same colour as your natural teeth.
- They cost less than gold fillings.
- They are direct fillings, so they can be done in one appointment, in most cases.
Disadvantages of Composite fillings:
- This kind of filling can break more easily than amalgam or gold fillings, and may not last as long.
- Composite fillings cost more than amalgam fillings.
- Recurrent decay is more of a problem than with amalgam or gold fillings.
Interested in Composite fillings? Call us! Our dental receptionist will answer any questions you have.